Sony NW-WM1AM2 Uncapped Version (Pre-Order)
An aluminium alloy frame provides a highly rigid case that’s resistive to electrical noise and other interference for stable, high quality sound.
S-Master™ HX digital amp technology, independently developed for Walkman®, is compatible with the Native DSD format, and supports balanced and high power output. It reduces distortion and noise across a wide range of frequencies, for rich and full-bodied sound, further enhanced by new high quality sound lead-free solder.
The WM1AM2 boasts an even stronger power supply than its predecessor, not only in the analog block but also in the digital block – an idea inspired by our flagship digital music player, the DMP-Z1.
Adopted as battery assist for the amplifier block, the newly developed large solid high polymer capacitor offers large capacitance and low resistance. Able to instantaneously supply large amounts of power, it can accurately output signals by preventing sudden falls in voltage. This contributes to clear, powerful and accurate bass sound, as well as clear vocals.
Custom-made for Sony and tuned by Sony engineers, FT CAP3 is adopted for all bypass capacitors in the audio block power supply. Drawing on know-how cultivated in high-end home audio development, it has helped to improve sound expression and create a smoother sound, with a wider sound space, more transparency, and tighter bass.
An OFC milled block covers the digital block, helping both to strengthen digital ground and improve noise shielding from digital block elements such as the application processor and memory devices. The result is a clearer sound that appears to rise up from silence.
The high polymer capacitors within the WM1AM2 are used to strengthen the power supply of the amp block for unbalanced output, enhancing low-range reproduction performance for a more expansive listening experience.
High quality film capacitors deliver voltage with a linear response across frequencies, resulting in reduced distortion and noise.
Replacing the conventional laminated capacitor, winding inductors in the digital block power supply contribute to a pure sound.
In our quest to achieve the best possible sound quality on the WM1AM2, we’ve upgraded a number of components. We’ve also worked tirelessly to optimise the layout of the various parts – another crucial factor in realising high quality sound.
A low-resistance oxygen-free copper (OFC) cable offers low distortion and superior channel separation.
Two compact low-phase-noise crystal oscillators ensure precision clock stability at sampling rate multiples of 44.1kHz and 48kHz. The crystal electrode piece is formed with gold vapour deposition for enhanced electric characteristics and improved instrumental separation. This helps remove a veil and reduce noise to realise clear, open sound reproduction.
The surface mounted Fine Sound Register ensures even, effective distribution of power to the circuit components, for consistent sound quality.
This is the first time Sony has used reflow solder containing gold, and it features extensively across the circuit board surface – so the overall effect is significant, including improved sound localisation and a wider sound space.
The exceptional conductivity of gold ensures absolute minimum signal loss. For clearer sound and vocals, a premium, audio-grade lead-free solder with a small amount of gold connects the circuit of the WM1AM2 to the battery.
The printed circuit board uses low dielectric material to realise accurate signal transmission, while the via holes are filled with copper to further reduce impedance. The result is a wide sound space with clear, bright sound.
By dividing the Audio block (highlighted in red) and the Power/Digital block (in blue), the circuit board layout has been optimised to ensure sound quality is unaffected by digital interference.
- Bluetooth 5.0
- MQA technology
- 360 Reality Audio
- Full charge in 4.5 hours
- Android 11 Operating System
- LDAC premium wireless codec
- 5-inch HD touchscreen display
- 128GB of storage plus SD card slot
- S-Master™ HX digital amp technology
- Sony Headphones Connect App built in
- Volume UI that echoes classic analog design
- USB Type-C port compatible with USB 3.2 Gen1
- Sound enhancements including new Vinyl Processor
- Two home screens: Walkman home screen and Android home screen
- Up to 40 hours of non-stop 96kHz FLAC high-resolution audio playback
- 11.2MHz DSD native using balanced headphones and PCM 384KHz/32-bit support
- DSD Remastering Engine: PCM audio is resampled into an 11.2MHz DSD ultra-high frequency 1-bit audio stream
- Size: 80.5mm x 142.5mm x 208.mm
- Weight: 299g
- Frequency band: 2.4 / 5 GHz
- Battery life - continuous playback music (with music app): MP3 (128kbps) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 40 hrs, MP3 (128kbps) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 40 hrs, FLAC (96kHz / 24bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 40 hrs, FLAC (96kHz / 24bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 40 hrs, FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 35 hrs, FLAC (192kHz / 24bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 35 hrs, DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 25 hrs, DSD (2.8224MHz / 1bit) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 15 hrs, DSD (5.6448MHz / 1bit) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 18 hrs
- Battery Llife - continuous music playback (other music app):
MP3 (128kbps) / Stereo mini-jack: Approx. 18 hrs, MP3 (128kbps) / Balanced standard-jack: Approx. 18 hrs
- Memory size: 128GB (actual available memory 103GB)
- Music searching methods: All Songs,Artist,Release Year,Playlists,Album,Genre,Composer,Hi-Res,Recent Transfers,Folder,Cue sheet
- Music play mode: Shuffle Playback,Repeat Off,Repeat 1 Song,Repeat All,All Range,Selected Range
- Drag and drop: Yes
- Display resolution: 12.7 cm (5.0-inch) ,HD (1280 x 720 Pixels)
- Display type: TFT colour display with white LED-backlight
- Sound effects: Direct Source (Direct), 10 Band equalizer,DSEE Ultimate, DC Phase Linearizer, Dynamic Normalizer, Vinyl Processor
- Audio playback: MP3: 32 - 320kbps (supports VBR) / 32, 44.1, 48kHz, WMA: 32 - 192kbps (supports VBR) / 44.1kHz, FLAC: 16, 24bit / 8-384kHz, WAV: 16, 24, 32bit (Float / Integer) / 8-384kHz, AAC: 16-320kbps / 8-48kHz, HE-AAC: 32-144kbps / 8-48kHz, Apple Lossless: 16, 24bit / 8-384kHz, AIFF: 16, 24, 32bit / 8-384kHz, DSD: 1bit / 2.8MHz, 5.6MHz, 11.2MHz, APE: 8, 16, 24bit / 8-192kHz (Fast, Normal, High), MQA: Supported
- Headphone out (stereo mini-jack):
- Frequency: 20-40,000 HZ
- Maximum power output (JEITA 16Ω/MW): 60mW+60mW (High Gain)
- Headphone out (balanced standard-jack):
- Frequency: 20-40,000 Hz
Maximum power output (JEITA 16Ω/MW): 250mW+250mW (High Gain)
- Frequency: 20-40,000 Hz
- Operating system: Android 11
- Terminals: Headphone: Stereo mini jack, Balanced standard jack, External memory: Micro SD Micro SDHC Micro SDXC
- Wireless capabilities: Communication system: Bluetooth Specification Version 5.0,NFC: No,Supported Bluetooth profiles: Yes,Supported Codecs (Transmission): Yes,Supported Codecs (Reception): No
- Talkback: Yes